Hand & Lock is an embroidery brand created from the fusion of two great, long established embroidery businesses, M Hand and S Lock.
In 1767, a Hugenot refugee known as ‘M Hand’ added embroidery to his range of laces and set up M. Hand & Co.
M Hand continued through the next two centuries, crafting beautiful embroidery for the military, royalty, and tailors throughout the Commonwealth and beyond.
In 1898 CE Phipps & Co. opened an embroidery business supporting the burgeoning London couture fashion houses. By 1956 it had survived the wars as a modest, yet well established business when a brilliant young designer, Stanley Lock, took over from Mr Phipps on his retirement.
The company, based in Fitzrovia, was renamed S Lock Ltd. It reached new heights throughout the next 45 years working with couturiers including Christian Dior, Norman Hartnell, and Hardy Amies. Taking notices of S Lock’s success, the monarchy awarded him a Royal Warrant. Royal commissions have included gowns for the Queen, the Queen Mother, and Princess Anne’s wedding ensemble. Princess Diana added new glamour with her love of richly embroidered garments.
Show-business used the extravagance and showiness of embroidery and beading to full effect in many famous productions, from Barnum to The Lion King. The list is a long one!
In 2001, these two extraordinary companies; M Hand and S Lock merged and the Hand & Lock brand was created.
Hand & Lock’s commitment to produce only the highest quality hand embroidered products ensures that the company maintains its place as the leading supplier of all types of embroidery.
Hand crafted work will always give a touch of class and quality to any garment.